We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 16 May 2013

My first book .....

When I was having my recent craft room tidy-up, I came across this past project, done some years ago, before the advent of the current journelling craze and all things mixed media.  It was at a time when I was first getting interested in altered art and decided to have a go at an altered book.  I had just started working with metal, and learning various techniques, this is reflected in the front and back covers of the book.



I used a copy of Pride & Prejudice, one of my all time favourites, which I found in a charity shop.  I have since learned that the best books to use are those that are stitch bound, as they are more robust.  This one is not stitched, and so has slightly fallen apart in some places.

There is no real theme to this book, as I was learning and trying out several techniques and layouts, experimenting with paint, glazes and stamping.  Here is a selection of the pages.

Using a cut window to show part of the following page.



For these pages, I incorporated pockets, and inserted stamped and captioned images.



An acetate window ...




The next page also shows a collage I made of myself.




Finally, I cut a niche into the last third of the book, and made a goddess doll out of painted fabric interlining, beads and half a fabric flower.  Opposite is some stamped UTEE.



Reviewing this book has reminded me how much fun I had, and perhaps I'll do another one.  It also shows how far I've come with the painty, inky thing!






No comments:

Post a Comment