We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 21 May 2013

I'm cracking up .....

I recently bought some Kroma Crackle, but not had an opportunity to use it, so thought I would do a small canvas in a wood frame, with the crackle on both.  I painted the canvas, and included some impressionistic grasses.


Then spread some crackle round the edge with a palette knife, but I didn't put enough on, and the result was an apology of a crackle - more like a whisper!

So, as this stuff comes in a tube, I decided to run a line of the gel around the edge of both the canvas, and the frame, and did not touch it with a palette knife, just left it.  It took a few days to dry, but fascinatingly it cracked in a regular pattern.



 It was really unstable, probably because I did not push it down onto the surface, so I gave it a couple of coats of matt medium before I went further.

I then got my Pebeo Fantasy paints out and did some small butterflies.  Here is a peak at my desk mid-project.

This is my version of WOYWW! (What's on your workdesk Wednesday)

Think I'll call it CWIPS - craftroom work in progress snapshot!  This may be an occasional thing I include, and it may not necessarily be my desk, as sometimes I have stuff spread all over the floor!


Anyway, I digress; I used some Treasure Gold wax on the cracked bits of the frame and canvas - a deep indigo colour, and added a couple of butterflies.  This doesn't look like normal crackle, but I love the texture it has created.


Hope you noticed I've just discovered I can place photos to one side of the text  - it takes me a while, but I get there in the end!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and LOVE it! Thanks for all of the great inspiriation.

    ReplyDelete