We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Monday 4 August 2014

Gelatos and Angels .....

Together with a couple of friends, I spent yesterday at The Craft Barn, doing a workshop with Giovanna Zara.  The base was a 12 x 12 box frame and we used Gelatos, stencils, Grunge Paste, and also created some accessories.  We had to bring a photo to use, so I took along several photos to choose from, though they were mostly all pictures of stone angels!

We started by covering the back board with book pages, and scraped Grunge Paste through stencils on the frame, both the top and the sides.












Then we coloured the frame with Gelatos. I'm not sure I would use them again on such a large piece, but I think they are useful for small areas.

Gelatos are good for stencilling. Just rub the colour onto the stencil, then using your finger, rub it off the stencil and onto the substrate.

We also put some translucent paste through the stencil.


We die-cut some flowers, and coloured those with Gelatos, and mica sprays.  We made a little book, and used some wooden reels with lace and book pages, also aged a glass bottle (and I added another bottle I had at home).

I finished it this morning.  Used gilding wax on the translucent stencilling, and on other stuff too - very addictive that wax!  I also resized my photo as the original was too small, and mounted it on board to stabilise it.  I just love the weathered patina on this image.


An excellent way to spend a Sunday - getting mucky fingers in good company!

2 comments: