We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Sunday 13 August 2017

Abstraction, Modernism and a pinch of Surrealism

I've just remember I haven't told you about the last 2 day workshop I did on encaustic collage.

This combined my love of collage with trying wax, so of course, I had to sign up!

I decided I would do an abstract using a beach sunset as inspiration. I also thought I would not use any paint (apart from a quick under painting), and all the collage pieces would be rectangular - I do like to challenge myself!

I used watercolour paper, which with hindsight is not really robust enough for adding a lot of wax. When I cut it off the support board it becomes quite difficult to handle. I need to think about what kind of frame to put it in.

The wax we used was a mix of beeswax and Damar resin, which strengthens the beeswax.

After doing a quick watercolour under painting, I started cutting up various bits and pieces, including speciality papers, cardboard, fabric, hessian, bookprint, and laid them out as my initial thoughts on construction.

As you can see, it is very rough at this stage, and I took a photo to remember placement, but I knew it wouldn't turn out like this!









Next, using wallpaper paste, I starting sticking everything down - quite tricky to get the order right!













I used the wax to stick the corrugated card and hessian, and started layering wax is a few places. I also spattered some wax for a bit of sea spray.












Finally, after several layers of wax, and a few more additions - including orange for the sunset reflection, and a rockpool (bottom left) using seed beads and abalone shell, I finished with some gold paint through a fossil fish stencil. You will have to enlarge the picture to see them properly.


I liked using the wax as it provides another dimension, but I need to get to grips with the technique a bit better!

This week I had a day trip to Charleston and Farley Farm - fabulous day!

Charleston, home from 1916 to Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant, was the country retreat for the group of artists, writers and thinkers known as the Bloomsbury group.


I loved this house, and wanted to move in immediately. Every room was decorated by the artists, with murals on all the furniture, fireplaces and walls. It had a beautiful atmosphere, and the studio was to die for!







Not allowed to take any photos inside so if you want to explore further I'm sure Google will help.

The gardens were stunning too.

















Then on to Farley Farm, which in 1949 became home to Roland Penrose, Surrealised artist, and Lee Miller, American model, photographer and WW2 correspondence.

Another stunning home, full of artworks ... many created by their friends and visitors, including Pablo Picasso, Man Ray, and Max Ernst.












You may recognise this one by Roger Penrose, of his first wife Valentine, entitled Winged Domino.












The gardens were extensive ...

















... and full of  modern sculpture.

I was quite taken with this one - Sky Seed
by Mark and Rebecca Ford (2017).



















I bought a couple of books and some postcards.













I was fascinated by the stories regarding the Bloomsbury Group, so I'm going to get some books from the Library and have a good read!

4 comments:

  1. Love the colours of the collage - liked the fish too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite impressed with your encaustic collage. It is quite lovely. I have also found watercolor is not a very good substrate for the wax. I much prefer a block of wood. However, I was truly impressed with your finished entry and also impressed with the way you took photos along the way. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous entry.

    I've been watching Midsomer Murders and the estates you visited remind me of places they shoot around. These are both gorgeous homes, and I love, love, love the surrealism. Trying to play catch up and I apologize that I'm so late visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful encaustic collage, I'm sure the workshop must have been fun. The photographs are fabulous, looks like a beautiful place. Take good care, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charleston Farmhouse is one of my favourite places, so glad you enjoyed it too. I've not been to Farley Farm so thanks to your super photos, that is on my list of treats for next summer xx

    ReplyDelete