We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Resistance is futile ...

The next letter in the Craft Barn Alpha Dictionary challenge is R. It just so happens that my latest in-progress masterpiece (yeah - right!) on my art course is all about resist techniques - so that had to be my word!

But, back to this little masterpiece! Started by masking off two areas with tape. I drew a daisy and used masking fluid on that, and also wrote the word resist in wax crayon (from a box of cheap children's crayons which I originally bought to try melting them - not very successfully I might add).

I then did a watercolour wash (wet in wet) with three colours. When dry, I rubbed off the masking fluid, and painted the daisy stem, leaves, flower centre and a few petal shadows.



At 5.30am this morning I was woken by rain lashing the windows. Couldn't get back to sleep, so wrote a haiku - as you do!

Flower fragile white
Facing the storm, bow your head
Beautiful resist

16 comments:

  1. What a great word and I love how you put it on paper. Concepts are hard but you did a great job. It's a beautiful masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - both your art and haiku! Great idea to use Resist as your word and your flower is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great drawing and I love your choice of word. It is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen masking fluid on tv shows, but never in the craft/art stores I have been to. This is simply adorable, and I was delighted to see you RESISTED the urge to use rabbit.

    What an awesome haiku, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is lovely and your haiku is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely watercolour piece, the crayon worked very well as a resist so it wasn't a completely wasted purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever! Beautiful drawing and painting and such a clever way to illustrate for the word resist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful - I love the daisy you have painted and your word choice was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the effect of the brighter colors around the flower and more faded. I tried melting crayons and it worked just fine, I glued them all to a canvas and my son had fun with the hairdryer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely effect and a great word to use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, very beautiful and such an effective way to make delicate artwork sit out from its background. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, very beautiful and such an effective way to make delicate artwork sit out from its background. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great word choice and a very beautiful flower! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, this is gorgeous. Love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful, thank you for entering The Craft Barn's Challenge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great choice of word and a beautiful masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete