We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 30 March 2016

Me and Monet!

I wanted to have a go at watercolour glue painting, which uses wallpaper paste. Fascinating technique.

Make up some wallpaper paste, and mix watercolour into it. The colour is held in suspension and when applied to the paper it stays exactly where you put it; but more importantly you can add texture.

Background was done wet in wet, and the poppies wet in dry.

As it dries it soaks into the paper and so leaves a flat image of the texture marks made.




Ealier this week I visited the Royal Academy's Painting the Modern Garden Monet to Matisse exhibition. Absolutely fabulous!

Monet is one of my favourite painters, and for the first time in Europe the very large waterlilies tryptiche was on display.


The three panels together are 42 feet long, and 7 feet high. To see them all together gave me goosebumps and I felt quite emotional - I just did not want to leave the room!

Of course I had to buy the rather sumptuous catalogue which shows every painting - such a lot of inspiration.

The exhibition is on until 20 April - if you love Impressionism - go!


1 comment:

  1. I have wallpaper paste and really MUST try this technique. However, I could NEVER draw the beautiful poppies like you did. They are sumptuous.

    I'm a BIG Monet fan, and I am also a big Impressionist fan. Probably my favorite era and art genre. I have seen seven of Monet's lilies in various museums and private galleries, but never the triptych. I would be humbled, too.

    I would like to ask your permission to add your blog to my left sidebar. I never add anything to my blog unless I am given permission to do so.

    ReplyDelete