We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 21 December 2018

Fruits of my labour!

Where does the time go - I've not posted for nearly a month - shame on me! Still trying to move, I've found a house I love but now looking for a buyer, as my original buyers went elsewhere, (I couldn't find anywhere at that time) - soooo frustrating!

Anyway, something completely different. My sister is a woodturner (see her Etsy shop here), and has turned items that she is either not happy with, or the wood is too boring. Sometimes she bins them but more often I ask for them, and I've had a growing collection of rejected things that I've not been too sure what to do with! The solution was staring me in the face - literally - being surrounded by paint!

So here is my fantasy fruit with different paint effects, and I've given them a glossy lacquer finish. They look quite large, but the pear is only about 4 inches high.


Really enjoyed doing something different, and I've got a bagful of rejects to go to! I've also told my sister never to bin anything again!

Had a trip to the British Museum to see the new Mitubishi Japanese Galleries - fabulous exhibits, including ...

Miniature articulated figures of a cicada and praying mantis, from the 19th century.











Samuri armour (1600 - 1800)























Red Illusion Series: Swallowtails (1983)
Saito Kaoru





















Nabeshima porcelain (1690-1750)











We also visited the Sir Percival David Collection of  Chinese Ceramics.

I found inspiration for the colour combination to use on my current project ...

The are photos not brilliant as taken on my phone through glass.

Happy Winter Solstice, which, in the Northern Hemisphere, occurs  tonight at 22.23 hours GMT.

Also, wishing everyone a happy and peaceful Christmas with one of my favourite Pre-Raphaelite painters - Dante Gabriel Rossetti -

A Christmas Carol 1867

2 comments:

  1. Your fruit is stunning. I agree that your sister needs to give you anything she doesn't want. You have turned her rejects into perfection. Although I'm not a fan of painted wood, sometimes paint turns blah into bold.

    What a unique exhibit at the British Museum. There must have been so much to see and take in, especially since it seems to have spanned many, many centuries. You chose some beauties to share.

    Merry Christmas to you, too, dear. I hope your house buying and selling gels in the new year. And thanks again for all those lovely skeleton leaves you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, I just stopped by to wish you a healthy, safe, and joyful new year for you and your loved ones. I hope you have a fabulous and productive 2019, too.

    ReplyDelete