We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 26 October 2018

Remember ...

I've neglected my blog recently due to trying to move house, which is taking up all my time and energy! I've got buyers for my house, but can't find one to move to! My reason for moving is that I want to have a dedicated studio space, which will probably mean a cabin in the garden, but there is not much on the market at the moment, so I'm finding it very frustrating. Anyway, if it is meant to happen it will!

Because the potential move is taking up all my headspace, I've not been very creative recently, but the Fearless Four did get together last month, and following my butterfly bling creation (see here), the concensus was to do something similar, again using old/broken jewellery, beads, and buttons.

I decided to do hearts this time, and I got a box frame to put them in - rather pleased with the outcome.  The hearts are MDF which I painted first. I've then used broken jewellery, buttons from my mother's button box, and beads. Try and spot the one common piece in each heart!



And what did the others do?

Lin did butterflies






















Monica too





















And Linda did a bling tree.






















Another good time had by all!

We are having another session next week, though I'm not particularly prepared with what I'm going to do!

Another group of friends - stitch people who love knitting, crocheting - have created 100 poppies which have recently gone on display in our local library.

In Flanders Fields, by John McRae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your heats. They are incredible. You used a lot of old jewelry and buttons, too. This was a fabulous piece. I also liked the butterflies, and that tree was so cute.

    But the poppies (along with your hearts) stole the show. Several years ago, for Veterans/Remembrance Day, I created a journal page using that poem. At the time, I learned that poppy seeds spread where there is a lot of activity and the soil is constantly turned over (like on a battle field). This was beautiful and touching. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete