We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 18 July 2018

Too hot to tango!

It has been much too hot to do much painting of late, as my workroom is upstairs at the back of the house where the sun is full on! This summer so reminds me of the one in 1976 - I didn't like that one either!

Anyway, I did try pouring acrylic paint onto glass, with some success.

I found some glass items (leftover from the time I did glass painting), and decided to use a flat coaster/candle stand, 2 tealight holders and 2 votive holders.

I upended everything and did 3 dirty pours and one pouring the colours separately. I tried to think about what the colours would look like from the "right" side!


Both votive holders were a disaster (dirty pours), and I hadn't considered what they would look like right way up with candles in them!


But the flat coaster turned out OK. This was another dirty pour, and I used too much black. I varnished the underside.

I've put a hot mug of tea on it, and the paint wasn't affected.















The 2 tealight holders turned out OK too, but the one where I poured the colours separately was better.

Some of the paint ran onto the underside of the lip. I have burned a tealight and that was fine too.

Again I varnished over the paint.









What have I learned? The paint needs to be really really fluid, with careful consideration of the colour combinations, which are better poured separately; particularly for these small items.  I will have another go, as I've still got some glass things.

Another day trip last week, this time to Knebworth House in Hertfordshire; home to the Lytton family since 1490. Fascinating hearing about the family history spanning so many centuries.

Knebworth is well known for its festivals and concerts, the biggest music event in British history was Robbie Williams Live at Knebworth in 2003.


We weren't allowed to take any photos inside, but the gardens were lovely, and scattered throughout were some fabulous sculptures.

I was rather taken with this one, which seems to have been carved out of a dead tree.















Knebworth has 28 acres of park and gardens.





















These chaps were hidden within a clipped yew walk!






















Great day out, apart from a bit of a nightmare journey home as the M25 was closed, so took nearly twice as long as it should!

Going to the annual RA Summer Exhibition next week (if it is not too hot!), so looking forward to that.


1 comment:

  1. I really MUST learn more about this pour "thing." Personally, I fell in love with the flat coaster, even more than the tealight holder that wasn't a dirty pour. I liked how the colors swirled and moved together in the dirty pour. I suspect beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I was most impressed with the "dirty" painting.

    I had to look up RA Summer Exhibition, to learn it was the Royal Academy of Arts. I can see why you are excited.

    I was actually quite impressed with the photos you took including the incredible sculptures hidden in the yews. Stunning photos and a great surprise in the end.

    ReplyDelete