We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 28 June 2018

Hazy lazy days ... mine and Monet's!

I'm slowing finishing the projects that have been around for some time! This one is a watercolour with collage.

I applied the collage pieces first and then drew the outline of the poppy seed heads and thistles.This was followed by a washed background with cling film, I also used some Brusho too.

I then painted the seed heads and thistles before using pen and ink for a little outlining.


This brings back childhood memories of hot summer meadow days - silent except for the buzzy bees!

I've put this one in my Etsy shop.

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time.
John Lubbock, The Use of Life

I recently saw the Monet & Architecture Exhibition at The National Gallery. What a joy that is, to see several series of paintings brought together. I loved the series of Rouen Cathedral, Venice, London, plus some I was unaware of, including earlier ones. I treated myself to the book of the Exhibition, and I really want to try painting with Monet's colour palette to see if I can come anywhere close to the way he depicts light.

Here are just a handful of my favourites from the exhibition.

Rouen Cathedral

The Church at Varengeville

The Grand Canal, Venice

Sailboat at Le Petite Gennevilliers
The Exhibition is on until 29 July, so go see it if you can.

I've just one one more project to finish, which I'm determined to do before I start anything else!

Happy lazy summer days!

5 comments:

  1. OMGosh, what an amazing painting! TFS pictures of Monet's paintings too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paint so well. I LOVE that cling wrap background technique and had all but forgotten it. But the poppy seed heads are out of this world.

    What a great display of Monet's art. He was SO famous for his series paintings, too. I like what you showed us, because I don't think I've seen the sailboat before, even though I have a HUGE book on Monet and his paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay, Yesterday I sent you this message:

    "I've been out most of the day and found a lovely package in my mailbox a few minutes ago. You weren't joking when you said you have a lot of those skeleton leaves. WOW, I never expected this many, and different colors and sizes, too. I also love the feathers. Of course, I really, really love the card. It's amazing and now I know why I don't make cards. Yours is fabulous.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you again, dear. I greatly appreciate it."

    Unfortunately it came back as SPAM!!!! You are the SECOND British person I've received notice my mail has been returned as spam. I know you didn't put me on your spam list, so I don't understand what is happening in the UK and why none of my e-mails get through. I read the info at the site they gave when my e-mail turned to spam, but it requires a lot of coding. Just want you to know I can't send you any e-mails until I get this all figured out. I do, however, love the package you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poppy seed heads Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface. 5 STEPS PLAN ON HOW TO BECOME FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT

    ReplyDelete