We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 16 February 2018

Introducing Dixie the Diva ...

that's pronounced "diver".

I've had a particularly nasty virus for the past 10 days, when I've had no energy or inclination to anything. Feeling more human now, so I though I would introduce you to the latest member of my family!

This was a Powertex workshop which was particularly exhausting as it lasted 7 hours, but so enjoyable.

We started with a piece of shaped polystyrene and wrapped it in various layers of kitchen roll, masking tape and tin foil, which we then covered in Powertex. This was then fixed onto a steel rod embedded into a randomly carved piece of breezeblock. Wires were added for the fins and tails.

Eyes and mouth created with 3D Flex mixed with the Powertex and hand-shaped. The fins and tails made with fibres coated in Powertex.



















The main body is covered in textural stuff such as paste and sand.





















Finally got to work with various paints, overlaying mainly metallic and pearlescent colours.

I need to put some felt on the base so it doesn't mark surfaces. She is quite large so I need to find a good position for her.





















But Dixie is ready for her close-up now!



 Kung Hei Fat Choi

(Year of the Dog)





2 comments:

  1. Happy Kung Hei Fat Choi to you, too.

    I LOVE Dixie. Those colors are incredible and the fins and tail are out of this world. I am so impressed with how you molded them. Amazing what you can make with fibers and Powertex. This is an especially lovely piece and I am sure you have placed Dixie in a place of prominence in your home, too.

    BTW, I take it that is NOT your craft room in the first two photos. If it is, I have craft room envy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dixie the Diva diver looking marvellous. So love her 'attitude'

    ReplyDelete