We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Saturday 13 January 2018

Open Sesame ...

The fourth project in my acrylics course was to create an eastern doorway using stencils.  I found several references for shapes, colour and texture, and I decided to use a canvas board for this piece.

I did an under-painting first, and then used resin sand for the distressed wall (I added colour first), which I applied with a palette knife.

The surround I painted a dark blue and then used a stencil with two shades of gold.

The inner surround is paste through another stencil.

The door itself I have "studded" using a pearl pen, which creates 3D dots. I found 2 rings in my box of delights, no idea where they came from, but perfect for handles.


There is a saying that I came across many years ago, and which has stayed with me - no idea who said it -

There are things known and things unknown,
and in between are the doors.

Only two more projects on my course, and I've managed to keep up apart from the very first project, which is still waiting to be finished!

Happy 2018!


1 comment:

  1. The building looks very old and worn, just like I'm sure you also envisioned it when you created it. But the door surround is incredible. The detail is outstanding. I also loved the door and the details you created on it. It's a wonderful piece and will grace a wall beautifully in yours or someone's home, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete