We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 29 November 2017

It's all about the (British) weather!

I started my Intermediate Acrylics course in September, and have only finished one project so far. There is quite a lot of homework with these classes, and given the time of year ...

The first project still needs quite a bit of work, and the current project has a couple more weeks to go. This is the second project, which I have managed to finish!

I'm using a canvas sheet, which comes in a pad, and means I can roll it up for storage!

The aim of this particular project was to paint reflections in water. I'm reasonably happy with the result, although the reflected colours could be a little more subdued as the water is on dark tarmac.


Recently went to Tate Britain for the Impressionists in London (French artists in exile 1870 - 1904) exhibition. Absolutely loved it - so many artworks on show.

In the 1870s, France was devastated by the Franco-Prussian war and insurrection in Paris, driving artists to seek refuge across the Channel. Their experiences in London and the friendships that developed not only influenced their own work, but also contributed to the British art scene.

Here are just some of my favourites.

Camille Pissarro
Charing Cross Bridge, London 1890













J A M Whistler
Nocturne: Blue and Silver - Chelsea 1871

James Tissot
The Gallery of HMS Calcutta (Portsmouth) 1876

I don't know much about this artist, but I loved his few paintings that are in the exhibition. Reminded me very much of Renoir (another favourite of mine).







Claude Monet
Houses of Parliament, Sunlight Effect 1903

There was a whole room dedicated to Monet's Houses of Parliament series - it gave me goosebumps!

Breathtaking!











Claude Monet
Houses of Parliament c. 1900-1

Had to include another one!
















The exhibition is on until 7 May 2018, and if you love Impressionism it is a must see!

2 comments:

  1. I was really impressed with your painting. I thought it was a photograph when I saw it on my sidebar. It's incredible.

    I'm a BIG fan of Pissarro. I've liked everything I've ever seen of his.

    Monet always seemed to paint in series. I've seen his haystacks and his waterlilies, but have only seen his Parliaments in pictures. It must have been quite a thrill to see so many in one room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting and fantastic reflection in the water. How wonderful that you are taking art classes ongoing, you have great talent :) Thanks for visiting my blog :) xx

    ReplyDelete