We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 29 September 2017

My favourite colour is sunset ...

... I just love that pink and orange combination that spreads across the sky, and is always so fleeting.

This piece is pure experimentation!

I started with an 10 x 8 canvas board, and covered it in iridescent orange acrylic paint.

I've got these little boxes of wood shavings in various colours, courtesy of my sister. Regular readers of my blog will know that Laura is a woodturner, and some of the wood she uses comes in fantastic natural colours (see Laura's Etsy shop Treasures From the Tree here).

By the way, the link to my Etsy shop is on the sidebar!

One of the wood shavings is from a tree called Pink Ivory, and is also a stunning pinky-orange colour.

I took that and sprinkled it over lines of PVA glue, patted it down and then waited for it to dry.

Meanwhile, I added some blues to the sky.

When the wood shavings were dry, I took Pebeo Prisme paint in a couple of colours and poured it between the wood trails.  Note - when poured this paint spreads far and wide, so it soaked into a lot of the wood! Never mind ... my sandbanks are being inundated with the turning tide!

When everything was dry I took some metal leaf and created a setting sun. I also used metal foil for the wave tops.

So, a semi-abstract creation which has quite a few errors, but I had fun - which really is all that matters!


Clouds come floating into my life,
no longer to carry rain or usher storm,
but to add colour to my sunset sky.

Rabindranath Tagore

The current Paper Artsy challenge is all about metallics, follow the link to see some fabulous inspiration! I'm going to add my effort to all the other great entries!

5 comments:

  1. This is jaw dropping gorgeous, Kay. I am totally in LOVE with it. I recently created a sunset, but mine paled in comparison to the beauty of this. Of course, having access to the Pink Ivory wood shavings was a blessing, because it added so much dimension to the piece. I am truly in AWE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous creation, beautiful colours and I love all the texture. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gilded sun and the wooden waves are the stars in this piece (yes, even with the blue paint!). The Pebeo prism gives fabulous effects too!

    ReplyDelete