We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 19 October 2016

It's all about colour ...

On my current art course (Intermediate Watercolour and Mixed Media), we learned about primary colour layering, which I'm finding fascinating.

Instead of mixing, say, a purple in the palette with red and blue, you mix on the paper. So, the first layer would be red, and when that is dry, you paint blue on top. Because watercolour is transparent you still get purple, but it is more vibrant.

Just making various strengths of primary colours and layering them up can create any colour you desire - but on the paper!

The first session involved creating an abstract painting, using primary layering - amazing! The only colours I had in my palette were yellow, red and blue. I also did the outline with India Ink and a dip pen.


We are now working on a landscape using this method, so watch this space!

I had a fabulous time in the Highlands, it was great seeing my friend and going for walks. The air is so clear and the landscape is so beautiful it hurts.

Just a taste -

Eilean Donan Castle on Loch Duich at Dornie, on the way to Skye

Featured in many films, including Highlander.

Bridge over to Skye

The last time I went to Skye on the ferry, as the bridge hadn't been built!














Glen Affric - National Nature Reserve - stunningly beautiful

















Glen Affric again


















Back to reality, traffic jams and pollution! but I've got lots of photos for painting inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful abstract art with curves that I love. The scenery is gorgeous as well :) Take care, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your abstract is wonderful. I can't believe how I missed this. It is splendid.

    What a beautiful country you live in. I really enjoyed the trip with you, and love the atmosphere. I look forward to seeing how you interpret some of these photos in your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in Glen Morriston, on the way to Skye. We went to Applecross and Skye this year and the bridge wasn't built last time I went there. I love the Highlands and enjoyed living there , my kids all went to school there, in Drumnadrochit.

    ReplyDelete