I finally got the Gelli Plate out to have my first go at using it! And oh - once I got going I couldn't stop. It was - "this will be the last one - um - the paint left on the plate looks interesting, think I'll just do another one ..." and so it went on!
I learned not to use too much paint (I'm using Liquitex Basic heavy body acrylic) - and know when to stop. A few times I thought another layer would be a good idea, and it wasn't!
Here is everything I did - quite a few pieces are hidden under others! I think the final total was around 50!
I used a variety of substrates, here are a few close-ups with details.
The one on the left is a 2nd generation print on cartridge paper (200gsm), and the one on the right is 1st generation on watercolour paper.
Like the texture of the watercolour paper.
The canvas is very textured, and I do like the softness of the print. It didn't work well with 2nd generation prints.
I like the minimal-ness of 3rd generation prints, but you have to be quick before the paint drys. These are on glossy paper (about 120gsm) and would make good backgrounds.
Using masks is effective. There is a bit of bubble wrap in there too.
1st generation using sheet music .....
and book pages.
This is a 2nd generation print. If paint is left to dry on the plate then more paint applied on top of it, the dry bits are reactivated. Hence the blue bits.
I have only scratched the surface (no pun intended!) of what is possible, but now I'm getting the feel of the plate, I can be more adventurous.