We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Pandora unzipped .....

I had fun doing this one, as I brought together lots of stuff I've been experimenting with or trying out.  Still need to get that steampunk thing out of my system so .....

Started with an 8x8 deep edge box canvas.  I do prefer the all wood ones, but I must use up those canvas blanks I've got stashed away.  But - and it's only taken me a few years to figure this out - I finally worked out how to get those little bits of wood into the back of the canvas - I hammered them in (nothing like brute force!). They do work in stretching the canvas a bit tighter.

I started covering the canvas with printed tissue paper, but then decided it would be too fussy, so this eventually all got covered.  I chopped a zip up, and fixed it with some modelling paste mixed with paint, as well as roughly spreading more paste around at the same time.

Then did that thing of mixing modelling paste with PVA glue, to get the stringy effect.

Also added in tiny die-cut butterflies and the odd watch part here and there.



Bit of a mess really!

Anyway, started layering up lots of paint.

Yes, I know, blue again - but there is a bit of purple in there, it has just not photographed too well.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!








In the meantime, die-cut some larger butterflies, got out my tin of watch bits, and had fun creating these - shown in their raw state, before any paint.

The "bodies" are a pen nib and a couple of pointers, courtesy of Tim Holtz.





After a few days of further copious layers of paint, some Kroma Crackle, and gilding wax .....


Here are some close ups.



The crackle has quite a few layers of paint and gilding wax.


I embedded some watch parts in the liquid Kroma Crackle too, and like the effect.













The butterflies have some sponged on paint in a couple of colours, and some gilding wax.











This may, or may not, be the end of my steampunk phase, I think there is still more to explore!


1 comment:

  1. No, not the end of steampunk please. Love the butterflies. Blue is a good colour.

    ReplyDelete