We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 20 February 2019

Distraction and Abstraction

Trying to move house is very distracting and energy draining, and I seem to have lost inspiration, hence my lack of post writing.

Anyway, this was a little experiment. I've still got quite a bit of patterned paper stashed away from when I was into papercrafting.

I took a square of hardboard and stuck a piece of patterned paper onto it. I forgot to take a photo at this point to show the paper, but this is a leftover piece. It's from a Tim Holtz designed paper pad.


When it was completely dry - I left it 24 hours - I coated it with clear watercolour ground (the equivalent of acrylic clear gesso).

I then used 3 watercolour washes over it, with crumpled clingfilm (bottom left).

The watercolour ground provided a key for the paint, and also prevented the washes from soaking into the paper.

I painted some flower shapes in white gouache, and lastly added some gilding flakes.

It is important to let it dry completely between each layer.


I'm pleased with my floral abstract and the paper remains as smooth as when I first applied it. Clear watercolour ground is the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of watercolor ground, but it sounds far betrer than gesso. I love the clear film technique, and it turned out great. I'm LOVING your flowers, too. They are beautiful and sparkly. Have you found a place, or are you just packing in anticipation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours - soft and gentle

    ReplyDelete