We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 26 April 2018

I'll take water with that ...

I recently went on a short art break in Dorset. It was great fun with a lovely bunch of people, and the food was too delicious. A glass or three of wine with dinner too!

We were using watercolour (including Brushos) and mixed media - for me that was mainly collage. I learned about using watercolour ground not only to knock back the collage pieces, but also to enable me to paint on top of the collage too.

I also finally learned how to use a ruling pen with masking fluid - something I have struggled with, mostly ending up with a lot of blobs.


Another useful thing I did was to do three paintings together, so I wasn't too precious about it! After all, it is only a piece of paper!

So, I did 3 of these at the same time, all slightly different ...

I had to finish the sunflower at home, as I ran out of time, and I wasn't prepared to take a damp painting on the train!

The centre is textured, using tissue paper mixed with the watercolour ground. Also, rather than dry brushing, I used a piece of sandpaper to create a few subtle highlights on the centre.

I also added a bit of gold too, but that doesn't really show in the photo.











I had a really fabulous time; so good to get away from everything and just paint!

I've just started a 5 week course on portrait drawing. Something I've never tried and I'm finding it rather a challenge. We are using photos of famous people so it will be a test as to whether you recognise anyone!!

Our mini heatwave is over and we are back to April showers, but my wisteria is about to flower, and it is covered in blooms, must remember to take photo.



3 comments:

  1. Your mixed media watercolor paintings are amazing. Your painting skills are incredible. I can't say enough about how much I love these paintings. You have really made this your career choice, I believe. So glad you had fun while you were away and your art shows it.

    Good luck with portraits. I understand they are difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful paintings capturing the softness of colour with touches of textured brilliance.power to your paintbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely Kay. So pleased you enjoyed yourself. I look forward to hearing more about Watercolour Ground.

    ReplyDelete