We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 17 October 2017

... from little acorns

At the weekend I went foraging for acorn caps with Laura, my wood-turner sister. Laura turns acorns from all different woods then puts them into the natural caps. The difficulty is turning them the right size so they fit into the caps (which are all different sizes!).

Last year there were hardly any acorns to be had, but this year there is a bumper crop, so we collected bagfuls!

With that excursion in mind, and this month's Craft Barn challenge couplet being ...

Fresh October brings the pheasant;
Then to gather nuts is pleasant.

It was obvious to me that I should use one of Laura's creations, so I resorted to Photoshop and played around with the images, settling on a couple of the artistic filters.



When the oak tree is fallen, the whole forest echoes with it;
but a hundred acorns are planted silently by some unnoticed breeze.
Thomas Carlyle


8 comments:

  1. Oh Kay, this is a great way to illustrate this part of the poem, but it's also a beautiful example of your sister's woodturning skills. I bet anyone who sees these acorns will go nuts over them (sorry, I just had to).

    BTW, I'm half British, and you won't read the word "fall" on my blog, or hear it from my lips unless it is "I may fall into a deep depression if autumn doesn't arrive soon."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - I love acorns and oak trees of course. I used Thomas Carlyle's quotes quite a lot in the challenge a few years ago - thanks for reminding me how profound he was. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to show this month's challenge. It's always nice when it can be shown in a personal way. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely way to illustrate the October verse. Using your sister's acorns in the artwork is a great idea as it will always bring back memories of foraging for the caps. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are beautiful and perfect for the challenge. I do love the feel of wooden ornaments. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The acorns are beautiful and the challenge was a perfect way to show off your sister's wood turning talent. A super digital layout - I haven't a clue how to create something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had known as I know someone who collected 2 brown bins full of acorns !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great page - those wood turned acorns look fabulous! Well done to you and your sister. Thank you for joining in the Craft Barn Month challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete