We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Saturday 14 January 2017

Introducing Tia ...

You may recall I visited a friend in the Highlands last October; she is owned by Tia - a cross between a German Shepherd and a Greyhound! I said I would have a go at painting her ...

This is something I've not done before - creating a painting that should be recognisable as Tia  - so no pressure then! After all, if I didn't like it I could always quietly bin it!

I decided to stick to my favourite mixed media components, and started with an outline drawing in pen. The background is created with acrylic inks dropped into wet; I used green for all Tia's walks in the glens, orange, because she has some orange tinges in her fur, and yellow, as unusually the sun shone when I visited!

I then used watercolour, coloured pencils and Neocolor II crayons for all the detail.


I sent the portrait up to the snowbound Highlands this week, and I'm so pleased my friend loves it!

My next challenge is Molly the cat  ...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” 
Groucho Marx

3 comments:

  1. This is a stunning painting, Kaybee. I'm so glad your friend likes the painting, because I certainly do. And I have no idea what Tia looks like!

    Had a good laugh at that Groucho Marx quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I guess your friend would love the painting of her dog it's gorgeous! Fanastic art! I'm curious about the Acrylic inks, I have a dozen and have only used them on backgrounds. Take good care, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read your description and realize that you used the inks for the background only. I thought it looked like pencils on the painting, it's fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete