We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Saturday 12 November 2016

Prime time!

I've finally finished the second primary layering exercise that I started a couple of weeks ago in my art class.

Primary layering is mixing primary colours on the paper - each layer must be dry before doing the next layer.

All the layers (I did about 20), were done wet into wet.


First, yellow - there is about 3 layers here ...












Then red - probably 5 layers ...
















Before I started on the blue, I did some adjustments with more yellow and red layers. There is an impression of a roof, and I had to remember to lift out the paint after each layer! I didn't use masking fluid as it had to remain quite soft.

I then added blue layers, before painting in some trees.

I made final adjustments with some more red and blue layers.

This looks quite Turner-esque to me!


I love the softness of wet in wet multiple washes, and primary layering is a fantastic technique to do, all you need is a little patience - so have a go!

It is only when we are no longer fearful
that we begin to create.
JMW Turner

2 comments:

  1. It looks very atmospheric, so I can see why Turner comes to mind. This is going to be incredible. I like the process photos you share with us.

    ReplyDelete