We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 14 April 2016

The finish line?

I've started another art course  - just a short one, only 5 weeks. This one is learning Line & Wash.

Our first exercise was to try the two extremes - one which is mainly line with a little bit of watercolour wash, and the reverse, mainly watercolour with a bit of line.

I had no idea of the range of implements that can be used to make the line - apart from the usual fine line pens, and dip pens - and I ended up trying a twig! I love the unpredictability of it.

You can also use bamboo, feather, or anything that will make a line mark!

Here's the twig I used, whittled to a point, dipped into acrylic ink.


And here's the two together -


I do like the mainly line version, and have already whittled down a few twigs - I discovered it takes a bit of skill and there are a few nicks in my kitchen worktop now! But there is no shortage of twigs - every time I go out I come back with one or two!

I'm now working on a landscape, where the line has to show distance - easier said that done!

Loving that heat when the sun comes out ... even left my coat off yesterday ...


1 comment:

  1. These are both gorgeous works of art. I am totally impressed with your drawing abilities.

    I have an artist friend who uses chopsticks for wide lines, a bamboo skewer for fine lines, and toothpicks for detail lines. I know she has experimented with feathers, too. I like that you made your own brush by whittling a tree branch. Seems ingenious to me.

    ReplyDelete