We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Making faces!

In the past I have struggled with drawing faces, something I've wanted to do, but never really been successful at, and attempts have found their way to the bin!

A little while ago I came across a little video on the Paper Artsy Blog, (see here) which inspired me to have another go. This time using paint and coloured pencils.

I started with creating a stencil for the head and a separate one for the neck and shoulders. I used card from some clothes packaging (does anyone else have a drawer-full of used packaging material???).

This is quite a neat trick if you lack confidence in creating face shapes directly onto your canvas.


Using 300gsm card, my first attempt followed the instructions precisely, (I even had the right colours of Fresco paint) resulting in this - not bad, but I think she looks as if she is sucking lemons!!

I do like the combination of using paint and pencils though!
















Another go, this time with some hair movement (hey, I'm getting a little adventurous here!).

She looks more relaxed and pensive, with a kinder face maybe!

I did try this particular version on canvas too, but using the coloured pencils on that surface was not very successful.












Then ..... let's get really adventurous and change the face shape and hair!

Hmmm - needs a little more work I think - but at least she's got some clothes now!
















Tried again, this time on watercolour paper, quite like the texture, but the eyes are a bit wonky so she is looking quite startled ..... she has probably seen her own reflection!


















Flushed with a bit of success, and confident that I can now have a go at faces, I then did a collage; this is part of another challenge which I will expand upon another time. Using blue paint and pencils, copious amounts of blue patterned paper, including some from magazines, and a little wool trim, this is The Blue Girl (though no real competition to Gainsborough!).



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic artwork on your faces, they are very much fun and whimsical. I love the bottom one, the hair is beautiful. Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore your faces and especially the hair in the last one. BJ

    ReplyDelete