We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 11 October 2013

Waxing not waning!

I'm still experimenting with encaustic art, there is something very compulsive in seeing how the wax reacts with pressure and heat - well, anyway - it pleases me!



So I made some more cards using different silhouette stamps this time.

Creating an undersea grotto is the easiest effect to achieve when starting out.

I used some new fish silhouette stamps, which I love.  They are really deeply etched rubber stamps from Designs by Ryn, a fabulous stamp designer in Canada.




I then had a go at some landscapes, using trees as the stamped image.  This was more tricky, and I did get quite frustrated - one eventually found its way into the bin - completely beyond help!



All these were created quite by accident, as I didn't really know what I was doing!


















I like the sky in this one.  And is an example of why I love this technique, its unpredictability!

















This one is my favourite, it has an ethereal quality not captured by the camera.

















Much more practice needed now, and I will try starting with a completely blank card, with no stamped images.

Just seen a rainbow so happy Autumn!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kay, the look of the wax after being heated is so organic! You're right, it does make a great looking underwater grotto. My fishes look right at home there. Just gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your creations with me :) Oh, and for the kind words as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All lovely Kay. I especially love the ones with the tree trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful art works, I love encaustic too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your artwork is gorgeous with the encaustic technique and you say you are not experienced? Wow can I get a lesson? Love these :) Cheers, Shirley

    ReplyDelete