We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 13 June 2013

Clockwork tree .....

I so enjoyed the canvas I did using clay pieces  (see Playtime post of 12 May), that I wanted to do another one, this time, using a large box canvas.  I recently bought some new clay molds, and I also had some pieces left over from last time.

Here are the bare bones of the canvas, before I added much paint.  I did put some background paint on first to identify the below ground part.


The tree is corrugated card, with added cord and string for lianas, clay stones and timepieces, and I just love the fern mold.  Included a couple of die-cuts too. The stones are embedded in Decoart Texture Fierro paste - it's brown in colour and has bits in that look like iron filings and glint in the light.

Then I embarked on countless layers of paint.  I kept going back to this canvas, as it was never quite right, then I added some Pumpkin Soup (Fresco paint) to create a dawn.  Now I'm happy!

Here are some close-ups.



Here is the finished piece .....


I've decided a box canvas is not the right thing for adding stuff like clay, because it is too bouncy!  I like the firmness of canvas board, but I like box canvases for their dimension - what to do??  I did some research, and I have come up with something that may fit the bill.  Watch this space, as I'll use it for my next canvas - hope it works!!


1 comment: